Visited States Map
Create a custom map showing the states you've visited.
About Visited States Map
Several years ago, while participating on an RV forum, I had an idea. What if users could create maps showing the states they've visited, similar to the ones they stick on the side of their RVs? They could then add them to their signatures so others could see everywhere they've been. So I created a simple app and shared it with the forum. Needless to say, it was a huge hit, and is still used by many on that forum and many others now as well. And it's no longer just limited to RVers, but is used on many other travel forums, from motorcycles riders to pilots. It's also used by bloggers and others to show where they've been on their blogs, Facebook pages, and other websites.
Since that time I've expanded the app to include maps of Canada and Mexico as well, which are also popular destinations for RVers and other travelers. I also continue to improve the app, making it easier to use with features such as the ability to select states from a list or by clicking on the actual map.
Rules for selecting states
A topic that comes up often is what constitutes a visit? Is it...
- Just stepping foot or passing through the state, even if only briefly?
- Spending a night there?
- Spending a more significant amount of time there, and truly getting to know the area?
How to use Visited States Map
- Select which type of map you'd like to create.
- Select the states you've visited by clicking on them on the map. You can clear a selected state by clicking on it again.
- Alternatively, you can select states by name by clicking on the Select by Name tab. You can move back and forth between the tabs while selecting states.
- Once you have finished selecting states you can generate and download your map.
- Select the size of the map you'd like. Keep in mind many forum signatures have a height limit.
- To create a custom size that is not in the list, select Custom, and then enter the height you'd like (the width will be calculated automatically).
- Select the file format you'd like for your map. PNG usually looks the best, but not all forums and websites accept it yet, so you may have to use an alternate format. Check with the forum or website that you will be uploading the map to for supported formats.
To share your map, you can either download it, get a link to it, or share it on Facebook.
- To download it, click on the Download button. Your map will be generated and downloaded into your Downloads directory or folder. You can upload it to other websites from there.
- To get a link to it, click on the Get Link button. A dialog will pop up with the link. Click the filter_none Copy Link button to copy it to your clipboard. You can then share this link anywhere that accepts links or URLs.
- To share it on Facebook, click on the facebook Share button. A Facebook dialog will pop up where you can add a comment and select where it will be shared and who can see it.
- The states you selected will be saved in your browser. The next time you visit the app they will be re-selected automatically so you can use them as a starting point when updating your map. Note that because the selected states are stored in your browser, they won't be available if you use a different browser or device the next time you use the app.
Feedback on Visited States Map
I value your feedback! Contact me with any issues you find, or any suggestions you may have to improve this app. Thank you in advance for your help!
Get started with Visited States Map
To get started with Visited States Map, click the Create Map button below.