Edit images without having to install anything.
About Image Edit
I recently switched to a Chromebook as my main development machine. The benefits were numerous over my previous Windows machine, faster startup, better performing, virus free, etc. The one challenge or concern with going to a Chromebook is the lack of native apps. But this is becoming less of an issue all the time due to the power and capabilities of web apps and modern browsers.
One native app that I used regularly on Windows and needed to replace on my Chromebook was an image editor. I didn't need anything like Photoshop, but I did need the ability to do basic editing such as cropping, resizing, etc. So I created a simple web app to do just that. My goals were to create an app that was easy to use, worked entirely on the web (nothing to install), and didn't require uploading and downloading images to a web server (better performance, less network data usage, and complete privacy). That last point is important in that your images never leave your computer.
While this app is fairly simple, it can do a lot of the basic image editing tasks that people need. It can crop, resize, rotate, mat, and convert images between file formats. It can also add text to an image, and supports all of the Google Web Fonts, so it's pretty slick what you can do with text. It also has the ability to perform bulk edits on multiple images at once and to combine multiple images together.
How to use Image Edit
The following actions can be performed by clicking on their corresponding toolbar buttons or menu items:
The following additional actions can be performed by clicking on their corresponding menu items (no toolbar buttons):
Icon Action Description cloud_upload Upload Upload an image for editing. crop Crop Crop the image, either by dragging the crop handles on the screen, or by entering X, Y, Width, and Height values for the cropped image. Click Crop to complete. photo_size_select_large Resize Resize the image, either by dragging the resize handle on the screen, or by entering new Width, and Height values for the resized image either in Percent or Pixels. Click Resize to complete. rotate_left Rotate Rotate the image by 90 degrees. filter_frames Mat Mat the image.
- Select a Color for the mat.
- Enter a Width and Height for the mat. If Width is less than the width of the image, then that value is used as the width of the mat on each side of the image. If Width is greater than the width of the image, then that value is used as the final width of the resulting image including the mat. The same applies for Height.
- Click Mat to complete.
title Add Text Add text to the image.
- Enter the text to be added. The text can be multiple lines.
- Select a position for the text.
- If the Position is anything other than Center, enter a Margin for the text. This is the distance the text is positioned from the edge of the image.
- Select a Font for the text.
- Enter a size for the text.
- Select either Bold or Italic if desired.
- Select a Color for the text.
- Enter an Outline Size for the text if desired. Enter 0 if no outline is desired.
- If an outline size greater than 0 is entered, select an Outline Color.
- Click Add Text to complete.
cloud_download Download Download the image.
The image will be placed in your Downloads directory.
- Enter a Name for the image.
- Click Download to complete.
help About / Help View this page again.
Icon Action Description dynamic_feed Bulk Edit Edit multiple images at once.
Each image will be resized such that neither their width or height is greater than the value you speciifed for Max Size. The resulting images will be placed in your Downloads directory. Only resizing is supported at this time.
- Select the images you want to edit.
- Specify that Max Size for each image.
- Click Bulk Edit to start.
collections Combine Combine multiple images together, either horizontally or vertically.
The resulting image will be placed in the editor. From there you can do more operations on it if desired (such as resize) and then download it.
- Select the images you want to combine. The images will be ordered alphabetically. If you want to change the order, rename them, for example 1.jpg, 2.jpg, etc.
- Select it you want to combine them Horizontally or Vertically.
- If the images are not all identical in size, you will need to select how to Align them.
- If the images are being combined horizontally, then you can align them either by their Top, Center, or Bottom, or you can choose to have them Resized to Fit (the first image's height will be used for all of them).
- If the images are being combined vertically, then you can align them either by their Left, Center, or Right, or you can choose to have them Resized to Fit (the first image's width will be used for all of them).
- Click Combine to start.
Feedback on Image Edit
I value your feedback! Contact me with any issues you find, or any suggestions you may have to improve this app. Thank you in advance for your help!
Get started with Image Edit
To get started with Image Edit, click the Edit Image button below.